How to play PlayStation games on PC! Sony’s original PlayStation, now known as PSX, offers some fantastic games.
And if you can’t download your old favorites to your PS3 or PS4, you can play them on your PC!
By downloading an emulator, BIOS, and ROM or two, you’ll be playing retro in no time. How to play PlayStation games on PC, here’s how to do it.
You can use different emulators, but ePSXe is the most popular and has been updated as recently as October 2016. So we will use this one. If you have any recommendations for different emulators, share them below!
To get started, go to the ePSXe website and download the app. There is no installation file, so you just need to unzip the folder and move the files wherever you want.
I created an ePSXe205 folder in the Program Files (x86) folder and extracted the files there (ePSXe being a 32 bit application, so it belongs to the x86 folder).
If you are using a 32-bit version of Windows, you can do the same in the Program Files folder.
When you run the application for the first time, a dialog box prompting you to extract additional files may appear. Extract them and launch ePSXe by double clicking on the app icon (it looks like a PlayStation controller).
There are several steps you need to take to set everything up.
If the PlayStation BIOS is not already installed on your computer, you will see a warning and you need to install one (remember if you don’t have a PSX, downloading the BIOS is hacking).
- Just search online for “epsxe HLE BIOS” and retrieve the file called scph1001.bin.
- After the file has downloaded, extract the compressed file to the bios folder in your ePSXe folder.
- If done in the right manner, you will get to see something like SCPH1001.bin in C: \ Program Files (x86) \ ePSXe \ bios.
- If you’re using 32-bit Windows, it will be in the Program Files folder instead.
- Then you will see a menu with a few different graphics drivers and some suggestions.
- If you have an Nvidia or AMD graphics card, select Pete’s OpenGL2 GPU kernel 2.0.0 and click Config. If the resulting window looks like gibberish, just click OK.
But if you want to make specific changes to your gaming graphics, you can dig here.
Textures, resolutions, full screen, frame rate limitation and more are available.
You can also select the default Fast or Nice settings at the bottom of the window.
If you’re using an almost equally modern graphics card, you should be able to run very high settings without a problem.
When you are finished, click OK at the bottom of the screen and click Next >> in the configuration window.
No issues, you can always adjust these options from the Configuration menu on the long run.
Sound and controller
The sound driver’s window does the same for sound. Accepting the default ePSXe driver is probably acceptable, but if others are available, you can choose to configure them.
- Press Config for a few options, then press OK and Next.
- CD-ROM plugins are coming; If you are using Windows 10, select ePSXe CDR WNT / W2K core 2.0.0. Hit Next >>.
- Finally, you will configure your controllers. ePSXe supports a number of different controller configurations.
- Click the drop-down menu in the upper right corner to select the device you will be using. it’s easy to download PlayStation games on PC.
Once you’ve set the keys the way you want (just click on a letter and hit the key you want to replace it with), click OK and Next.
A message stating that ePSXe is configured appears and you are ready to play!
The DualShock 4 is a great choice for playing PSX games, and we’ve shown how to set one up on your PC.
Get PSX games on your Windows PC
Now that the console is ready, it’s time to choose some games! As with the BIOS, if you don’t own the game, you are committing an act of piracy by downloading it.
If you own the game, download it! There are tons of places to download ROMs; a quick Google search should reveal everything you need.
Once you’ve picked a game and downloaded the corresponding ZIP file, it’s time to extract more. You might need 7-Zip to extract this one, so if you don’t have it, grab it now.
ePSXe can run files ending in BIN, ISO, CUE, IMG, .CD and a few others. You will most like to see BIN, ISO or CUE. Once you’ve checked out your game file, you can move it anywhere you want.
It is a good idea to create a folder for the ROMs inside your ePSXe folder so that they are all in one place.
- To start the game, click File
- Run ISO and select your ROM.
The game will start and you will play a PSX game on your PC!
PlayStation games on PC: From now on, play the games using your chosen control system.
A few tips, however, to make the experience better:
+ To exit emulation, press Esc. You will be returned to the main screen.
From there, you can adjust options or view your controller mappings. To return to the game, tap Run> Continue.
+ In the main menu you can also save and load games from the run menu.
If you’re playing multiple discs and need to move on to the next one, use File> Change Disc.
ePSXe can be enhanced with additional plugins, but figuring out which ones to use and how to configure them correctly can be a bit of a hassle.
However, you can check out a list of recommended plugins for
PSX emulators and perform research. If you have any plugin recommendations, let us know.
At this point you should know how to play PlayStation games on pc. Enjoy games on your computer and share this article to allow your friends enjoy too. Thanks.